Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Filing Cabinet Makeover-Tutorial

Hey Everyone. Crazy 2 here! Hope you all had a good holiday! Soooo...
Filing cabinets. They're ugly. Period. My husband has been saying for a while that we need to get one so that we can clear out crap. So, for Christmas, I bought him one from the D.I. for $12. Sweet deal right? Only problem? U.G.L.Y. So, I decided to paint it. (i forgot to take a complete before photos so i snagged one off the internet that looked exactly the same.

After Christmas, out of curiosity, i went and looked at WM to see what a comperable price for these was brand new...... $40!!!!!! for a 2 drawer. That made me feel awesome.

Step 1: Hide it-- i took it up to my mom's so that i could come and work on it without my hubby knowing. Found a nice little home for it in the basement til i could return and revamp it.

Step 2: Gut-- With the help of my mom, i took out all the drawers and the tracks and was left with the shell.


Step 3: Clean Surfaces Thoroughly

Step 4: Prime-- I used rust-oleum and a small paint roller. Caution!! Do not rinse the paint out of the roller with your bare hands! It took about 20 minutes and a quart of laquer thinner to get my hands clean.


Step 5: Top Coat--I had to do a couple of these to get a pure white

Step 6: Pencil in-- Make your straight lines going all the way around the cabinet. I used a long piece of mdf and marked it every 5 inches then made the same marks on each corner of the cabinet. Then, i connected the lines using the mdf as a ruler/straight edge. THIS TAKES TIME. Don't rush. do it right or you'll be sorry.

Step 7: Mark & Tape--I marked every other stripe with a "G" so that i would not get confused about which stripe was what color. then i taped the OUTER lines of all the grey strips. Take your time taping as well. I believe this step took me about 3 hours. But it was worth it.

Step 8: Paint-- I got only a sample paint from Lowes because i knew i would not need much.


Step 9: Pick the right color!!!-- The original color i chose was much too dark for the look i was join for. it was the right tone, but just too intense. So i went back to Lowes, had them do the same color and -75% then had them add white. I am so happy that i did! Here's the final color

Step 10: Re-coat when dry

Step 11: Tear off tape-- While the paint is still wet, tear it off at a 45' angle

Step 12: Drawers-- For the drawers, i removed the metal handle and title holder and primed them with the same metal primer. Then i taped off the little lock knobs and spray painted the flat surface white. I gave them a couple coats then finished them with a non-yellowing clear finish.
Step 13: Finish-- For the protective top coat, i sprayed a clear enamel finisher so that the paint would not scratch off.
My husband loved this thoughtful and "hand made" gift. He also loved the $$$ i saved by going second hand. His function, my style. Everyone is happy! The whole project cost me about $30 but it looks like a million bucks!

3 comments:

  1. love this idea - makes me want to buy a filing cabinet just to pretty it up!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Belajar main judi di era modern tentu tidak sekedar teori permainan saja. Tekhnologi yang semakin canggih juga memudahkan kamu untuk bertransaksi deposit ataupun withdraw. Deposit OVO GOPAY Alfamart adalah salah satu bukti berkembangnya sistem pembayaran untuk (Baca Selengkapnya Disini...)

    ReplyDelete
  3. did you just use the primer as the white top coat?

    ReplyDelete